Thursday 4 July, 2013

To my priest colleagues…


Dear Friends,
I am proud to be a member of this great presbyterium which grew many folds (110) since my ordination in Dec 1980, though quiet many (40-45) of them are no more with us today. Rather contrary to its cherished traditions, this same presbyterium didn’t bother to know what happened to one of its members all these days (for nearly two years)!

However, considering myself as a responsible colleague, I feel obliged to tell you why I kept myself out all these days, though you may not be quite interested to know of it. I tried to live as public as possible and don't want that to be an affair between a bishop and a priest.

It rather becomes an imperative when the archbishop identifies/interchanges himself with the diocese and has a taken a stand of not minding anyone who dissents, if not rebels or agitates against matters seemingly of serious consequences to the diocese. Had enough confrontations with him in private and in the last one he dared me to challenge him in public, if I could! That was not becoming of anyone comfortably placed in a high pedestal. I can very well take up that challenge, provided he takes his position on a level ground. Why can't he have a genuine evaluation of his episcopacy?

He is no more in command, at least with regard to me. I have defied him, rather his policies enough. Why is he not initiating any disciplinary action?

He seems to act like Louis XIV who in his arrogance said ‘I am the state’ and Indira Gandhi of whom it was said, ‘Indira is India and India is Indira!’

You, my friends, stand to gain one thing or other by apparently approving everything he does or says. That may be the reason why most of us, most of the times kept quiet even in matters of serious consequences affecting the destiny of our beloved people who deserve much more than what is thrown to them.

As for me, I have opted out, when I was denied of a basic information as a responsible charge of a ministry.  This was in the background of two of our schools, the only ones in the entire district, to get disqualified for not providing the basic amenities as directed by the honourable High Court of Kerala.

Of late we learn with alarm, shock and surprise, how the very lieutenants whom the CM trusted betrayed/cheated him and ultimately the state and its peoples! If so, how much more will it be in our situations, especially in the fiscal matters. Transparency and accountability should be the hallmark of any genuine administration, even that of the church for that matter. But he wants us to believe him and his lieutenants! It is not enough to be just and truthful but one should look to be so.

Even in the liturgy, he is arbitrary and autocratic to the extent of giving scandal. How can a bishop let the Mass be put on hold/stopped/paused for a considerable time for him to come and bless a marriage? Can’t he come little early and attend the Mass of the edification of the faithful? Or let him preside over the Eucharist and bless the marriage. How can one justify posing for photos intra Missa? Has he ever let a priest preach and listened to him? Is it only a bishop’s prerogative to preach? ‘Brevity is the soul of wisdom.’ What a lengthy sermon he preaches, without any regard for precious time! His disregard for punctuality speaks volumes! 

He seemingly is no more in command of things!

After almost two years, I am here amongst you, my fellow priests, though, none of you seemingly hasn’t bothered to know what happened to me all these days! [However, wishing to be a responsible colleague, would like that you be told of the reasons why I stayed out with enough pain.]

This diocese of ours gave me the ‘community’ identity, of which I am proud of. And this great community is still said to be ‘backward’, a constant refrain by the authorities, in spite of the developments our valiant people carved out of their sheer determination and hard work giving no credit to anyone.

One of my friends the other day (3.7.13) persuaded me not to confront the so called ‘authority’, but tactfully move to empower the people ultimately. This needs to be heeded to. Let me try.



No comments: